Villages

Former Town Hall and Prison

Linhares da Beira

Linhares da Beira

Two-storey building decorated with the coat of arms of Queen Maria (1777-1816) sits among other municipal constructions like the forum and pillory. In medieval times, it was a prison, as shown by th bars on the lower left window. This is a two-storey building. The ground floor opens into a hallway with two side rooms and there are two staircases to the upper floor. This floor has a great hall and two other rooms. It was once a school and teacher’s house and now houses Linhares Parish Council and contains some decorative pieces of historical interest.