Nossa Senhora da Fresta Church
This is one of the oldest churches in Trancoso and was founded in the 12th century, first dedicated to Santa Maria do Sepulcro. It is associated with a number of tales, legends and traditions. Although the frontispiece and bell tower are the result of a baroque reform in the 18th century, the rest of the building has retained its original appearance. On the outside, there is the corbel work and the side doors decorated with the region’s typical Romanesque Gothic style. Inside there is the triumphal arch decorated with tile patterns, half spheres and arabesques and magnificent frescoes in the chancel, which were painted in the 15th and 16th centuries. There are also some 17th century tombstones and two medieval funereal inscriptions. It is located outside the walls and in the 19th century was included in Trancoso Cemetery. In 1944 it was classified as a building of Public Interest.