It has Romanesque inscriptions from the 12th century. One is the last part of an inscription on an ashlar built into the northern façade of the nave. Nearby, another ashlar bears a consecration cross inside a circle. It underwent profound alterations in the early 16th century and was fitted with a west-facing Manueline portal topped by a round choir window. The side door with a fluted frame bears the year 1585 at the top of the arch. All three portals have round arches. The interior is paved with granite slabs. The pulpit is also made of carved granite with the inscription ARGVEA OBSECRA INCREPA from a lesson by St Paul to his disciple Timothy. The two side altars are in mannerist style. A scheme arch leads from the nave to the chancel. The unpainted carved altarpiece in King John-style baroque is profusely decorated with angels, exotic figures, plant motifs and shells. There is an image of St James on the high-altar altarpiece. Also in the chancel there are two almost life-size images of St Francis of Assisi and St Anthony from the São Francisco dos Vilares Monastery.