Villages

São Vicente Church

Castelo Mendo

Castelo Mendo

Romanesque-style São Vicente or Misericórdia Church dates back to the 13th century but was altered later, probably in the 16th and 17th centuries. Here and there we find a mannerist influence. There is a second longitudinal unit inside the walls consisting of a nave and rectangular chancel. Inside is a wooden ceiling with beams resting on stone corbels. There are a number of tombstones inside the church. Considering the charter granted by King Dinis and the probable coincidence with the second walled unit, the parish is thought to have been founded in the 13th century. Around 1519 we find the bell tower appearing in drawings by Duarte d’Armas. In the late 16th century there were possible alterations to the church, considering the usual timeframe of mudejar ceilings. Capela de Nossa Senhora da Conceição inside the church was built in 1684 as a tomb for Manuel Sarinho de Brito. The façades seem to have been remodelled in the 17th century in view of the characteristics of the portals. The carved wood altarpieces were possibly installed in the late 17th and early 18th century. In 1758, the parish was a vicariate for the presentation of São Vicente de Fora Convent in Lisbon, which was closed in 1834.