Villages

Misericórdia Church

Linhares da Beira

Linhares da Beira

This church stands in the old parish of Santo Isidoro. Romanesque traces can be seen on the ogival arch of the side portal and the slit that illuminates the chancel. In 1576 the Misericórdia moved here and it underwent alterations until the 17th century. Santo Isidoro Church is mentioned in the 1320 census and the most significant trace of it is the side door with a spandrel bearing geometric decorations. In spite of the changes made to it, especially in 1622, this church offers some very interesting details, such as the juxtaposition of different structures, the bell tower, the church and the vestry. It has a single nave and three altars. Its three-part ceiling in painted wood, and the chancel also with a ceiling in painted wood, are well worth a visit. The wooden choir has a carved pulpit which still has its steps. There are two tombs in the floor with their epigraphs. One is dated 1610. Other points of interest are a disturbing articulated Christ and some paintings that are generally attributed to the school of Grão Vasco, such as the “Adoration” and the “Flight to Egypt". This is where the Misericórdia flags are kept for processions.