Nossa Senhora das Neves/ Parish Church
Misericórdia, Santa Rita or São João Church is a 14th century building outside the walls near Nova Gate and the old Misericórdia Hospital, Chapel and a stretch of medieval paving. It is longitudinal in shape with a single rectangular nave. The main door is a low arch topped by two straight-lintel windows. The triumphal arch is a round arch. It currently has no roof. It is in ruins, but we can still see the base of the pulpit decorated with volutes and medieval anthropomorphic motifs. We know that it was taxed at 70 pounds in 1320 as São João Church. Igreja da Misericórdia was transferred to this building in 1626, when it was enlarged. The fact that it was given the name of Saint Rita is possibly due to the local people’s great devotion to her and the existence of a statue of her on one of the altars.