Villages

Town walls and gates

Trancoso

Trancoso

Although it dates back at least to the 12th century, the outer wall is the result of extensions by King Afonso III and/or King Dinis (1248-1325). It underwent considerable remodelling in the reign of King Fernando, with the construction of walls and towers. Over the centuries it has undergone more or less extensive repairs and it is therefore difficult to date its different elements accurately. In spite of the demolition that took place in the 19th and 20th centuries, the old town centre of Trancoso is still surrounded almost completely by impressive medieval walls. In addition to some of the towers, we can still see three of the four main gates (Portas d’El Rei, Portas do Prado and Porta do Carvalho) and two secondary gates (Porta da Traição and Olhinho do Sol) and a hatch (Boeirinho). The Portas d’El Rei and Portas do Prado gates are the most impressive as they are bordered by two robust towers. Carvalho Gate is topped by a sculptured figure that many believe to be the legendary knight João Tição. The walls were classified as a National Monument in 1921.