Villages

Pillory

Linhares da Beira

Linhares da Beira

16th century pillory with Manueline ornamentation, an armillary sphere and a cross. The height is an expression of the legal personality of the municipality. Public punishments were sometimes administered there to serve as an example. The pillory is related to the charter from King Manuel in 1510. It may have been the scene of punishments but never the death penalty. There are still some traces of an iron ring where the offenders were tied. Its presence was a reminder of the municipality’s own law and justice, enabling it to punish offenders if necessary in order to maintain law and order. The Linhares pillory has a three step octagonal base, the first of which is twice the height of the others. The column has a quadrangular base decorated with spheres and an octagonal shaft. The inverted cone-shaped capital displays traditional Manueline decoration based on foliage, culminating with an armillary sphere and a cross.