São Francisco da Cruz Double Gates
The outer gate was built in the 19h century, while the inner, or great gate, contains a monumental 17th century portal attributed to Pierre Garsin (according to a treatise by Antoine de Ville). Both serve to help visitors find their way, taking them to the Arms Room at the entrance to the stronghold to the Almeida Military History Museum, to which it belongs. The great gate has a bomb-proof roof over the passage and guard house, with rooms for troops and officers, a fireplace and latrines. The town walls on both sides of the gate were rebuilt after they were breached in the 1810 siege.