Ruins of Santa Maria do Castelo Church
This was a 13th century Romanesque building with alterations from the 16th century, such as the side chapel with a Mudejar ceiling. It was probably built in 1229, if we consider the date of the charter granted by King Sancho II, which mentioned the religious authorities and the recent institution of the parish. This church is shown in drawings by Duarte d’Armas in 1513, where we can see the portal with a full arch and the bell tower. The side chapel was built in the 16th century considering the presence of the Mudejar ceiling and cannon gargoyle. In 1758 it had four altars (High Altar, Altar of the Holy Spirit, Altar of our Lady of the Rosary and Altar of Our Lady of the Conception) and belonged to Moreira Abbey. The parish was closed down in 1834. The year 1889 is carved on the lintel of the door in the side wall, which attests to a reduction in use of the church’s space.