Villages

Templar Tower

Idanha-a-Velha

Idanha-a-Velha

The Knights Templar reduced the defences to a small castle and the donjon is the only trace left. It was built in the mid-13th century, as shown by the inscription 1245 on a door on the second floor. People entered by this door after climbing a movable staircase resting on a block on the floor, which can still be seen. Later, a door was cut into the first floor, protected by the balcony. All that is left are the brackets on the third floor. The tower was built on the podium of the main temple in the Forum of the Roman town. A raised rectangular platform was installed to set up the forum surrounded by strong walls to keep in the earth. The temple was located in the western part of the square and seems to have been dedicated to Jupiter. Venus and Mars were also worshipped in small temples. The foundations of a portico are visible at the back. At the eastern end, there are small side access stairways and weak remains of the platform in front of the temple, where there was perhaps a large staircase.